My Favourite Band Q&A + Story | Nightwish!


Those who truly know me and are close to me will know who my favourite band is. For years Nightwish has been a huge part of my world. From the genius writer and composer Tuomas Holopainen to the many talented and enthralling voices of the singers Tarja, Anette and Floor, the band has fuelled my creativity, inspiration and got me through many difficult times in my life. 

I first fell in love with Nightwish when I was in school, having seen another student wearing one of their hoodies. Interested, I looked them up when I got home and I never looked back. It was in secondary school that I began to explore the "Gothic" way of things and their earlier music seemed to match what I was looking for. I loved metal and rock but Nightwish included orchestra, epic scores and chorus choirs that I had not heard mixed with metal before. Symphonic metal was a whole new concept to me but it very quickly grew on me. The music, however, was just one half of it. The musical genius composed by Tuomas... I will never have words enough to do this man justice in praise! Every new album he creates, every new song, every new chorus; he is the poet! Even just sitting reading the lyrics without the musical backing, they are beautiful words.

I often get asked, as a Nightwish lover, which is my favourite singer (there has been 3) and my answer has always been the same. I love them all! I have never felt compelled to fall into that argument and pick, for I have long felt and believed that each singer, in their own way, has brought something to the music. A unique style, a pitch level, a presence.



How long has the band been around?
Roughly about 25 years!

What genre of music is the band?
Symphonic Metal, Operatic Metal? I want to add a mix of other things, as over the years, with every new album, they add new elements that are so unlike their historic albums. Nightwish can be their own genre!

What was the first song you heard?
The very first song I heard was Nemo from the album Once (2002). I believe at the time it was just released on video and I was OBSESSED with it! I think I got the album the following Christmas.


Have you seen the band live?
I certainly have! 2009 at Newcastle during the Anette Era! That was when the album Dark Passion Play had come out. I have never felt such a trill in my life, nothing has ever topped it!

Do you own merch?
I do! A few T-Shirts, hoody, Stickers, posters, magazines, things like that! Of course their CD's and live DVD's.

What is a song that hits you in the feels?
I Have To Let You Go from their Imaginaerum Movie Score.


What was your most played song of 2020?
For this, I had to look to Spotify for an answer, yet that does not include all those times played before the app came about. In 2020, my most played was Tribal from the Human. :||: Nature Album.


Favourite Lyric/Quote?
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain, alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth: I weep to have what I fear to lose."
- Gethesmane, Oceanborn

Which song can you dance to?
This one is easy, their most dancy tune in my opinion is "I Want My Tears Back".

Has the band featured Soundtracks for TV?
Nightwish made their own movie called Imaginaerum in 2012, but they have also, to my knowledge, had 3 songs featured in Movies. While Your Lips Are Still Red, I Wish I Had An Angel and End Of All Hope. Their movie released both a Song album and a Score Album full of instrumentals and backing themes. IMDB Info.



Notes!

Tuomas has two separate projects away from his work with Nightwish, Auri, and Life and Times of Scrooge. Tuomas described Auri's style as "rabbit hole music and celestial metal" with "influences from folk and Celtic Music". His solo album is based on the cartoons by Don Rosa telling the story of Scrooge McDuck, featuring fellow Nightwish member Troy Donockley, as well as Tony Kakko from Sonata Artica and Tuomas's own wife Johanna

Both Tarja Turunen and Anette Olzon went on to make successful solo careers following their departure from Nightwish. Jukka, the long-standing and original drummer from the band's birth left in 2019 due to ill health dealing with severe insomnia and was replaced by Kai Hanto.


Endless Forms Most Beautiful featured literary extracts and quotes by Richard Dawkinsthe acclaimed evolutionary biologist and author, which he himself narrated within the Songs, The Greatest Show on Earth and Shudder Before The Beautiful. He also appeared on stage during the live performances at Wembley Arena in 2015.


On the 12th January 2021, Marko surprised fans and other musicians by announcing his departure from Nightwish and public life. He said he would commit to some events he had agreed to in 2021 but asked everyone not to ask him for anything else in 2021. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments